Storytelling & The Power of Your Narrative
Assignment One: The Story of Colors/ La Historia de los Colores
Watch this video with a brother, sister, cousin, parent or anyone in your home. Make sure it is someone who lives in your home because I do not want you to leave your house during these dangerous times.
TO GET CREDIT...
1. Subscribe to La Trenza Channel on YouTube which is where the video is, Take a Picture and Upload to GOOGLE CLASSROOM.
2. Take a picture or video of you and your family members watching the video and discussing the book. Post on GOOGLE CLASSROOM.
3. Write on the following prompt: Why do you think someone would want this book to be banned? Go online and do some research; I give links and ideas on the comments of the Youtube video. Your response should be one-page.
Assignment Two: Going Down Home With Daddy
Assignment Three: Simply Maria or the American Dream
Watch this video where I give background the play "SIMPLY MARIA OR THE AMERICAN DREAM"
TO GET CREDIT...
1. Read the play, take a video of yourself reading on Scene of the play, any scene you want. Post on GOOGLE CLASSROOM.
2. Answer the following questions on a Google Doc, copy & paste these questions
• What does Maria want for herself?
• What do Maria’s parents want for her?
• What does Maria’s mother mean when she says, “You’re a Mexican woman, you’re different from other women, try to accept that.”?
• Are women you know expected to fulfill traditional or cultural roles?
• How does the production use symbolism to convey ideas?
• How is satire used to bring a point across?
• How does Josefina López use the convention of the standard wedding vows to target the themes of her play?
• Can you identify with any of Maria’s problems or dilemmas?
• Have you ever felt that you needed to free yourself from a gender or cultural stereotype?
Your response should be one-two pages.